How To Be Around People As an Introvert | Tahoe Recap

by - July 07, 2020



It's a bit funny looking back on winter type of photos now that we're in the heat of summer, especially considering these were taken in early March - which is crazy for a Floridian like me since we don't get seasons like that!

I have been finding solace though in going through photos from earlier this year when life was looking a little brighter. These are from the trip to Northern California, this day specifically in Lake Tahoe. We drove up from Sacramento to spend a few days in Amador and decided to take a day trip from there to Tahoe to drive through the mountains and see what there was to do!

It was a fun little getaway, but I do remember at that point of the trip after constantly being with people for a few days prior, that I was starting to feel drained. If you're an introvert too, you know the feeling, and if not then maybe this will help you know what it's like. As an introvert, it's so important to have some time to yourself to recharge and feel centered again, especially after being around people and staying busy for days. But on a long trip like this, it's not the most practical to just get away for long enough to recharge, so I thought I would share some tips on how to get through it!

While we may not be going on trips for the time being, I know a lot of people are staying home around family and roomates and not really getting much of a break from them these days. So if you're in this kind of situation too, this is for you!

Here are five tips on how to be around people as an introvert (and not go crazy haha).


1  - plug in the music 

During the car ride to Tahoe with everyone together in the van, I plugged in my earphones and started up a playlist of music. Sometimes it helps to close your eyes and escape in your mind.

2 - break away for an evening

One night of this trip, everyone had fallen asleep early so I took myself down to the bottom floor of the airbnb and turned on an episode of the Bachelor that I hadn't watched yet. I can't tell you how nice it felt to just sit down there alone for a couple of hours and have a break from everything.

3 - communicate with the people around you 

I know this may seem like it defeats the whole topic, but stay with me for a minute. Sometimes people don't understand the need for alone time but sometimes they do. If you're trying to hold yourself together around them, it can be easy to feel frustrated or annoyed. So instead, try communicating with them. If the people around you aren't understanding your need for a couple of hours alone, let them know! It's as easy as telling them, "hey, I would love to spend time with you, but I'm starting to feel drained and need a couple of hours to myself to recharge. Maybe you can call up a friend, do some laundry, or find something to keep busy and then we can do something together later."

4 - find a creative outlet 

Most everyone has some kind of outlet that helps channel their energy or emotions into something positive. This blog does that for me, along with writing just to write. I don't tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve (unless I have completely hit my breaking point) so I need an outlet like this to write things out. For others, it could be reading, creating music, making art, playing a sport, or anything that helps you channel your feelings in a way that lets them out and makes it feel okay again.

5 - set aside quiet time 

Wake up a little earlier if you're a morning person or go to bed earlier if you're a night owl and set aside a few minutes of quiet time to talk to God, read passages in the Bible that speak to you, and maybe even listen to some worship music. There's an incredible amount of peace that comes from putting away the phone and the never-ending distractions of the world and replacing it for a few minutes of quiet solitude, starting the day by saying hey God thank you for the new opportunities of life you have for me and ending the day by telling Him all about it. Whether it's good or heavy or in between, He's always there listening, even if you don't feel it. How do I know? Because of the times that I have felt it. A peaceful, warm embrace from all around as you lift your head up with eyes closed and it feels like sunshine coming from above. It's a feeling hard to describe but also hard to miss. And that is how I know He is real and He is here, ready to take on this life with you.


I hope these tips helped in some way if you stumbled upon this blog feeling overwhelmed or in need of a break. It can be tough being an introvert in a world of constant energy and busy lives. It's perfectly okay to spend time alone and get back to feeling like yourself again. Even if you're not an introvert, everyone can benefit from having time to themselves. It gives you a better sense of self, helps to feel grounded and centered, and offers perspective on everything going on around you.

So go on and try these out, and remember that despite how it may feel, everything is going to be okay. ♡

even Jesus withdrew at times
to pray to God. ↷

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
Luke 5:16 

Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force,
withdrew again to a mountain by himself.
John 6:15 

One of those days Jesus went to a mountainside to pray,
and spent the night praying to God.
Luke 6:12 




Shop the look 


You May Also Like

0 comments