retro pink motel

by - February 28, 2017



Top: Aeropostle // Strappy Bralette: Forever 21 // Shorts: Charlotte Russe (similar here) // Shoes: Charlotte Russe // Bag: DSW // Sunglasses: Forever 21



The other day I was discussing with my friend Laura interesting places to photo shoot. She mentioned a pink motel near my neighborhood, and although I've lived here for three years I had no idea there even was such a thing close by. We immediately made plans to meet up and find the elusive pink motel. After wandering around the downtown area, taking photos for my College Fashionista article, Laura and I set out on our search. Sure enough, as soon as we drove closer to my house, there sat the pink motel. We explored the retro place, and Laura snapped these photos - huge thank you for being my photographer for that part of the day!

Because the motel had such an old fashioned look, I styled a modern take on a dated style with high waist shorts and strappy details. Oftentimes, things of the past resurface, whether it's style or old feelings. We're so quick to jump on it, I think because it brings up a sense of nostalgia of a time that we don't want to let go of quite yet. We end up clinging tightly to the idea of the past, the thought that if we just keep it around long enough things won't have to change. But do you see the harm in this? We're so caught up in what once was that we forget to look forward to what is to come. What if better things are ahead, but we're hindering our own selves by not moving on? How do we know that this isn't the very reason we feel stuck?


Today I propose that we quit allowing the things of the past to define our present and future situations. No more do I long to be held captive by the feelings of absence or anxiety. I want to define my own future without any say of the former sentiments. Each coming moment has the ability to be something vastly different from what we have once felt or experienced. We have in us the potential to alter each of our lives into something unlike what we believed was resolute, unchanging. We hold our feelings and experiences in our own hands. What do you say we do something different this time?





Shop the look


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yes! Everything about this post is wonderful. I love your proposal about not letting the past hold us back and give us anxiety- something I've been working on myself. The retro looking pink motel fits perfectly with your outfit- love the shoes and those shorts! These shots are lovely, hope you have a great weekend xx

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words love! Wishing you all the best as we work together on pushing against the past and anxiety and towards the present. Hope you're having a wonderful day!

      Delete