just the basics

by - October 06, 2016


Top: Suede (similar below) // Shorts: Charlotte Russe // Shoes: Charles Albert (similar in this post) // Jacket: Baccini // Bag: Moda Luxe



Has anyone else had the busiest past few weeks? It seems like everything speeds up in the fall and all of the sudden I'm juggling multiple things at once. Not trying to sound "complainy" though. I actually quite enjoy keeping busy.
I recently started an internship, so with that along with schoolwork and social events, I have been a happy busy bee.

Staying occupied is often good for the soul, in a way.
It helps with the feeling of accomplishment as well as focusing on something other than emotions.
(Seriously, I don't cry nearly as often anymore - ha.)

But sometimes, I question whether it really is such a good thing to stay so busy that I start to become numb to everything else. People who are known to be all about work are also often known to not have tight relationships or social life.The focus grows so narrow that nothing seems to be as important anymore.
But, don't we as people, need other people? - in the words of Jamie Tworkowski, TWLOHA.
Maybe we need to cry sometimes, but maybe we also deserve a time to experience contentment, maybe even happiness.

I grew up hearing that if I would just be content where I am, then God will move me.
And I believe that. But it also makes me a bit uneasy.
Because, what if I grow to be happy where I am, just for everything to change again?
It's all part of life and growing up. But that doesn't mean it's not scary at times.
As much as we deserve times of happiness and sadness, each one of us too experiences times of fear. Whether it's fear of the future, the past, or even the present moment.
And that is the point when faith comes in.
If we allowed fear to take root inside of us, we would be stuck in the same place forever. Wouldn't that make life boring?
I admit that I have been afraid for some time. Afraid of things changing. Afraid of staying the same. Afraid of what people think. Afraid of not being able to "make it."
And I have kind of allowed this fear to plant itself in my mind, creating this bout of anxiety within me.

Many of us encounter symptoms of anxiety, especially with the amount of things in this world that can cause us to feel afraid. And it's all too simple to allow this to sort of take control of the entirety of our feelings, actions, and decisions.
But after a while of giving fear the control over your life, things change.
Other feelings are dampened. People don't come around as often, because of how much you've distanced yourself. Ultimately, everything is different but still the same, because you are no longer moving forward.
This is what happens when we grant fear the role of headmaster over our lives.
 But what if we reverse this, and instead of giving our all to fear, we give everything, including our very selves, over to God?
Only then will we begin to see things change - all for good.
Because if we give our all to Him, then we see that we don't have to bear the heavy weight of life on our own shoulders.
He has the capability to manage things infinitely better than we ever could. We begin to see that we don't have to do this on our own. We need Him. And we need others as well.
See, this thing called fear is a terrible oppressor, invading all aspects of our lives negatively. Yet, so often we give it this control without even recognizing what we're doing.

Here's what I propose:
Take a long, hard look at life and identify who is really in control.
Is it fear or is it God?
And if it is fear, then let's make a change now rather than continuing to act passive about it.
Because a year from now, do you want to see yourself still here - only alone and numb?
I don't think any of us truly wants that for ourselves.
We want to move forward and become better versions of who we are.
So why don't we change the key-holder of our hearts and give it all over to God?
For He is the only one who can make a positive difference, the change that you want to see in your life.

If you've found yourself in a place of fear recently, I hope this helps. I'm right there with you.
Let's stop living in fear and start living in faith.




Similar Tops

Forever 21
Bedford Fair
American Apparel



Similar Jacket



GUESS
Uniqlo
Jou Jou

You May Also Like

0 comments