bahamas cruise - what my first cruise taught me

by - November 12, 2018



As I planned my outfits, packed bags, and prepared for my first ever cruise and first time out of the states, one thing kept running through my mind: how am I going to survive being completely out of contact with everyone back home for three days? I looked at the internet package available on the cruise ship multiple times, going back and forth between if it was really worth buying and how much I really did need a break from everything.

When there wasn't an option to use the package for just the two days I would be completely away, I figured that it wouldn't be worth it, as we wouldn't even be on the ship most of those days. Fears aside, I decided to just do what everyone else was doing and go without.

What was initially the thing I was most hesitant and dreading, became the thing that I actually appreciated the most from the trip. 

This was definitely a trip that I will always remember. Not only was it such a blast with new experiences that I never would have tried if it had not been for this cruise, but it taught me some of the most valuable lessons that opened my eyes.

 The first day when we set sail and lost connection with the outside world, I was close to terrified. How was I going to live without the daily norm and my people that I had become so dependent on? We learned our way around the ship, went to a club type party on the top level - so not my comfort zone, which made it a bit tough to handle right off the bat - and at the end of the night, I broke. The thought of how much I missed my people and wanted to talk to them stayed present in my mind. More than that, it was the notion that one day soon everything will change; I might have to move and leave everyone and everything behind yet again. I couldn't help but think what will I do without them, without everything I have become so used to?

Day 2 came and the fears began to subside as we stepped off the boat, into a new place. From the glass bottom boat to walking around the Bahamas, eating fresh local food and trying (not too well) to barter at the straw market, there was a sense of excitement to leave behind the familiar and step into something different.

We made our way back to the boat to get ready for formal dinner night. Thoughts of back home became distant far back in my mind, as I had the chance to finally be present in the moment. Every night at dinner, I tried something new. The first night was escargot (actually really good!!), second night was duck, and the final night was lamb! I figured, it was free, and I may not have an opportunity like this again to try it, so I took the leap. Worst that could happen is asking for a plate of something else - which, we were allowed to ask for as much food as we wanted.

After dinner was the dancing under the stars party on the pool deck. I walked into it not as afraid as the night before but still with a hint of hesitancy. My sister and I watched as everyone partied into the night and made our way to the bar (where all the other young people hung out). We met some new friends that weren't creepy, lol, and actually wanted to socialize - which was fun and not something I'm all that accustomed to. The excitement from the 'new' increased, as the attachment to the old faded. Rather than in tears like the night before, I arrived back to the room feeling content.

The next day we headed off to the private island owned by the ship and the cabana that my sister-in-law had booked for our family. All of it was the most fun break away from real life that I had in a while. I didn't even feel the longing to check my phone; the only times I looked at it was to take a snap to capture the moment for fond memories when it passed. We walked around the island, bought an overpriced pineapple drink, chatted with our other new friends - foreigners that made me laugh when they asked what limbo and hula hoop was, lol - and made our way back to the cabana for food and family time.

After boarding one of the last boats back to the ship, we meandered around before getting ready for our final dinner. I walked into dinner confident, at ease, turning heads, feeling good to be admired. We had a nice family dinner, singing happy birthday to my mom and spending time together. After dinner, I felt the night, along with the all-too-short of a trip, coming to its end and wanted to cry just thinking about it. We walked around the ship at least 15 times looking for something to do or the new friends we had made, feeling tired and defeated when nothing was to be found. Finally at the very end of the night, we caught up with our new bachelor friends and chatted for a bit before returning to the cabin to prepare for leaving early the next morning.


I boarded the ship afraid of the unknown, reluctant to leave everything I knew behind. But I walked off of it wishing it didn't have to come to its end so quickly, new memories fresh in my mind, new friends, and a new anticipation for what lies ahead. The break from daily life was something I didn't know I needed. I had to step away to realize that change can be good and exciting and that I could live life just fine without the people and the things I had become dependent on. It's the experiences and the time actually spent with people that matter. Not the texts and mindless conversation from people who seem to care less.

Stepping outside of my comfort zone made way for me to really be myself. I could try new things and talk to people without social anxiety or the expectations of others thinking I'm 'too shy' to hold me back. In my normal life, I wouldn't dare to go up to someone and talk with them or ask for their contact information or start a conversation with a completely random stranger. It was new to me, and it was something I learned that I could do.

I realized that without the weight of expectation, I was free to be me. 

As I look ahead to next year, the unknown staring me blankly in the face, I no longer feel so afraid. Whatever change comes my way, I know that I can handle it, because God knows the way and is in the works of leading me right where I need to be. I can live without the things I have now and I can look forward to change as a good thing. New experiences, new people, and new things await me. And I eagerly await what He has in store.




Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 
1 Thessalonians 5:18



Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will. 
Romans 12:2





Shop the looks


You May Also Like

0 comments