spring cleaning

by - April 21, 2017




As we enter this new spring season, I can already smell the flowers and spot the new trends. It's a time when not only flowers start to bloom but we all tackle our closets, making way for new clothes that we might actually wear - for those mornings when we claim to not have anything at all to wear. Every year we look forward to refreshing - and sometimes reinventing - ourselves to have a clearer, more upbeat approach to everything in life.

I was inspired by Dia & Co to write this post, telling you all about my favorite fashion tips for cleaning out your closet and preparing for the upcoming season. This site is giving me all the spring feels, so I'm sharing with you what puts me in the fresh mood to update my own wardrobe!

what stays

I totally get it, sometimes cleaning out your wardrobe proves to be a difficult task. There are bound to be plenty of items that you just can't shake loose from. Maybe it holds sentimental value or you really just love wearing it. Whatever the reason may be, it's okay to keep some clothing items, even if over half of your closet remains. Some clothing that's more winter-wear can be moved to the back of the closet or set aside in a storage space. This way you can still keep it, but it will be out of the way for later use. When I determine what stays, I think of how often I wear a piece and how versatile it is. If it's a dress that I've only worn once because it had a statement pattern that people will remember and can't be switched up in another outfit, I usually won't keep it. But, if it's a button down top, light jacket, blazer, etc. that I wear all the time and can find new ways to style, it's a keeper.

what goes

Let's be real. Some of us hold onto things a bit too tightly, whereas others can toss everything aside within a week. When it comes to determining what goes, we need to be in the middle ground. Separate your piles of clothing into things you've worn recently versus things you haven't work in a month+.
Then go into each pile and ask yourself -

Do I love this enough to wear it more?
Can I style this with upcoming outfits?
Or should I put this away in a memory box? - only the very most sentimental items (worn on a first date, favorite photo shoot, travel memories) should be set aside in a box to look at from time to time.

what gets added in

Once your closet is stripped down to only the pieces you love, it's time for the best part - shopping! This is also crucial to maintaining a fine-balanced spring wardrobe that doesn't become too cluttered. When looking for new clothing items, ask a couple of questions similar to the ones for "what goes."

Do I absolutely love this so much that I can't separate from it?
When will I wear this, and how often?
Is it trending/will it be trending for some time? And if so, will I still continue to be able to style it into later outfits even when the trend isn't as popular?

It's okay to stay on top of current trends. Right now big flowy sleeves are in and have been for a little while. They will probably also continue to stay around and come back at different seasons, so that's a good trend to think about when buying tops. Details are another trend that everyone can't get enough of, with strappy bralettes and lace tops that can be layered. These are light layers that can be used in many different outfits. What's important is to not buy something for the sole purpose of it being on trend. Metallic boots, for example, are something I probably won't be ordering in the near future. If you're into them and can see yourself rocking it in your outfits, by all means go for it. But personally, I just can't see myself finding new ways to style them before I grow tired of it.


Always remember that your closet should be full of clothing that you feel excited to style and to wear, with just enough room to add in those must-need pieces. Wishing you all the best with your spring cleaning. Let me know below what are some of your favorite fashion and styling tips! ♡


You May Also Like

0 comments