Christmas recap // a new year

by - December 30, 2017




Well, I can now say that it has been quite the year. This Christmas was a good one. As I wrote on an Instagram post, I had everything I needed, and the only thing I could have wished for was that everyone be together again, rather than separate as we all have been so very much this year. I'm already planning next year, hoping to rent a few cabins up in the mountains for the family to all be in one place instead of scattered, just like the good old days.


I find it somewhat odd to reflect on a year. On one hand, it seems as though everything that happened throughout the year took place a million years ago. But on the other, it all seems so fresh, like it was just yesterday. It's the middle of the night writing this, so bear with my memory for a minute as I try to place what this year was even all about.

It was a pretty big year. I wrote on my very first magazine, not even just as a contributing basis, but as an actual team member of the magazine. I couldn't be more thankful for that learning experience that grew me as a person and as a writer. I went on my first trip unsupervised that I had planned all on my own - to NYC of all places. I honestly still have no idea what I was thinking not bringing along someone who knew the area and trying to be in charge of the plans. Safe to say, things are better left in God's hands, not mine. After all, I pretty much crack under any hint of pressure or crisis.

This year God has opened my eyes and expanded my mindset so greatly. I haven't really known what I was going to do, but recently God has been revealing to me that I should pursue becoming a personal stylist, to help others find their own style to be confident in and use it as a ministry opportunity as well.

The Lord has brought some incredible, God-loving friends into my life - people that I can laugh with, discuss heavy topics, and guide each other as we go about living Christ-centered lives. He has also brought challenges into my life - actually, that may have been my bad from wanting things now instead of waiting for Him to bring it into fruition, whoops. But He has used it for good, teaching me in areas of patience, trust, and witnessing to others.

Before this year, I hadn't realized some things that I do now. I have often talked about the waiting period on this blog, about how tough it is to be in that time of waiting for something - anything - to come through for you. But now I have a clearer view of the reason for the waiting. That reason being that timing is a crucial thing, and oftentimes I'm just not ready yet. I've been told time and time again to just go for it, you'll never be ready, just take the leap of faith right now when you want to. What's stopped me from turning those words into action? It didn't feel right. God placed it in my heart that no matter how much I want something right now in my way, that's not always the best way.

You see, there's a right time and place for everything, and if you're not in that right timing things will end up going all sorts of different than you had thought. Maybe I haven't had a chance with the guy I've been pining over for the past year and a half because I'm just not ready yet. My heart is growing so much in this time of waiting, seeing how this could be used greatly for the kingdom of God instead of on the minuscule level of my selfish wants. Maybe I haven't reached the point of financial stability even enough to do things on my own, because God wants me to trust in Him more than in what's in my wallet, and He's given me this precious time to be with family so I don't have to be out all on my own. Maybe I'm not a well-known blogger or fashion stylist or writer because He is working and perfecting my craft to be used for His glory over mine.

While the wait is hard, trust me I know, it truly is for the best. There's not much more fulfilling than understanding God's reasoning behind something. Only thing better is feeling His love encompass you spiritually, emotionally, and even physically like He's right there holding you close.

Only two words are needed to sum up this year - learning & understanding. I am most thankful for the opportunities and experiences that have been graciously extended to me over the past twelve months. I wouldn't be where I am or who I am without it. And even more than that, I am thankful for all that God has impressed upon me and blessed me with this year.

To another year and maybe even many more 🥂♥




"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11







You May Also Like

0 comments